Friday, May 20, 2011

Claypot Yee Mee Noodle Soup

Claypot Yee Mee Noodle Soup
As you all can tell, I am a big fan of noodles, be it stir fried, braised, in soup, tossed in meat sauce or whatever style you can cook them with. I was just thinking what to cook for my Friday lunch (am currently off work for 2 months after a major surgery and have plenty of time to prepare home cooked meals). When comes to my meals, I like very simple, hearty food/dishes. Food that’s relatively easy to put together and nice to eat. I don’t like spending too much time in the kitchen, but I would never want my food/dishes’ taste to be compromised. For most times, I enjoy putting a dish together with ingredients I already have at hand. Then again, if you were to check my fridge, freezer or pantry, you would be amazed what you can find. I’m just a crazy girl who simply love to cook and enjoy eating, too.

Anyway, back to this recipe. Claypot yee mee noodle soup is quite a popular lunch dish amongst Malaysians. It’s simple, hearty and of course comforting. And of course, when you eat out, the eateries aren’t exactly generous or creative with the ingredients. Here’s my version of claypot yee mee soup. It’s relatively quick to cook, simply because I use instant stock cubes. Do not get turn off by using instant stock cubes or powder. They help to flavour dishes well and nowadays, you can get MSG free stock cubes (YAY!). So, have a go trying this recipe and challenge yourself to use different ingredients.

Ingredients
1.5 litres water
2 Maggi Ikan Bilis/Chicken stock cubes
4 – 6 shiitake mushrooms, sliced
12 medium prawns, shelled
6 faux crab claws
4 lobster flavoured balls
4 salmon balls
A handful deep fried beancurd sheets (Fu chok)
Bok choy leaves, blanched and drained
2 Yee Mee noodles
2 large eggs
Salt and white pepper, to taste

Garnishing
Spring onions, finely sliced
Fried garlic, optional
Fried shallots, optional
Deep fried ikan bilis (anchovies), optional

Directions
1. Add the stock cubes in boiling water. At the same time, add in the lobster flavoured balls, salmon balls and mushrooms.
2. Once the seafood balls are floating (it means they are cooked), reduce the heat, add the beancurd sheets. Once the beancurd sheets are soften, add the faux crab claws and prawns. When the prawns turned pink (or cooked), turn off the heat immediately.
3. Place each yee mee noodles and blanched vegetables in individual claypots. Ladle the hot soup and other ingredients over the noodles and heat up the claypot. When the hot soup is boiling, immediately crack an egg and let the egg slowly cook in the hot soup. Then garnish the noodle soup with the garnishing. Serve immediately.

Serves 2 persons.

Cook’s note: If you decide to use pork or chicken slices, do marinate the meat with some cornflour, light soy sauce and oyster sauce for about 30 minutes in the fridge. When the stock is heating up/boiling, gently drop the pork or chicken slices into the stock/soup. Also you can use pork or chicken meatballs.

3 comments:

MoO~ said...

HI Maisie,

You totally solved my headache of thinking of what to cook/eat for dinner, then yee mee flashes my mind!
My lover and I enjoyed me cooking thanks to your lil recipe here!
=)
Cheers
Happy Cooking with <3

Maisie Lau said...

Thanks Moo... appreciate your lovely comment.

karthig said...

Its freaking delicious.i can taste the food from the pict